The EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Data Privacy Frameworks were designed by the U.S. Department of Commerce, and the European Commission and Swiss Administration, respectively, to provide companies on both sides of the Atlantic with a mechanism to comply with data protection requirements when transferring personal data from the European Union and Switzerland to the United States in support of transatlantic commerce.
BSI is responsible for the personal information it receives under each EU-U.S. DPF and Swiss-U.S. DPF and uses a third party to host the applications wherein that personal information is processed and stored. BSI complies with the EU-U.S. DPF and Swiss-U.S. DPF Principles for all onward transfers of personal information from the European Union and Switzerland, including the onward transfer liability provisions.
With respect to personal information received or transferred pursuant to the EU-U.S. DPF and Swiss-U.S. DPF, BSI is subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. In certain situations, BSI may be required to disclose personal information in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
In compliance with the EU-U.S. DPF and the Swiss-U.S. DPF, BSI commits to refer unresolved complaints concerning our handling of personal data received in reliance on the EU-U.S. DPF and the Swiss-U.S. DPF to TRUSTe, an alternative dispute resolution provider based in the United States. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your DPF Principles-related complaint from us, or if we have not addressed your DPF Principles-related complaint to your satisfaction, please visit https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request for more information or to file a complaint. These dispute resolution services are provided at no cost to you. If you are a resident of the EEA and have an unresolved privacy or personal information collection, use, or disclosure concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact the EU Data Protection Authorities. If you are a resident of Switzerland and have this concern, please contact the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner. In connection with its self-certification under the Data Privacy Framework, BSI commits to cooperate with the panel established by the EU Data Protection Authorities and comply with the advice given by the panel with regard to personal information transferred from the EU. BSI also commits to cooperate with and comply with the advice of the Commissioner with regard to personal information transferred from Switzerland. This is provided at no cost to you.
For more information on how to contact the EU Data Protection Authorities, click here.
For more information on how to contact the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner, click here or visit https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home.html.
For complaints regarding EU-U.S. DPF and Swiss-U.S. DPF compliance not resolved by any of the other DPF mechanisms, you have the possibility, under certain conditions, to invoke binding arbitration. Further information can be found on the official DPF website: https://www.dataprivacyframework.gov/s/article/ANNEX-I-introduction-dpf?tabset-35584=2.
INFORMATION COLLECTED AND USED
1. Information That Site Visitors Give Us: We may receive and store the information that you enter at our Site (such as name, email address, phone number, company name), provide to us on a webpage or consent to give to us in any other way. This information is used primarily for such purposes as facilitating purchases, webinars, training or demonstrations, making white papers available, processing a user’s identification or password, collecting address and billing information, verifying identity or providing products, services or support. Information provided in resumes and applications is used to consider the eligibility of employment candidates for various job opportunities. In addition to the primary purposes for which this information is collected by BSI, we may also use such information to contact a user to confirm information related to an order, to advise of additional products or services in which a user may be interested, to obtain feedback on our products or the Site or to send promotional materials.
2. Information Collected Through the BSI Portal Services: BSI collects information under the direction of its Clients and has no direct relationship with the individuals whose personal information it processes. This information is processed per the terms of the agreements in place between BSI and such Clients.
Whenever you interact with the Site, we may receive and store certain types of information. For example, BSI may use information collected via “cookies” to, among other things, obtain information when your web browser accesses our Site, track general information about our users, for statistical and market research purposes, to determine how a user found out about BSI and our Site, to determine what a user’s interests are regarding our services and products and to determine how to further improve our Site, services and product offerings.
A “browser” or “HTTP” cookie is a unique text file that may be used for data analysis, and enables a website to tailor information presented to a user based on a user’s browsing program. If you do not want us or our partners to deploy browser cookies in your browser when you visit our Site, you may set the browser to reject cookies or to create a notification when a site tries to place cookies in the browser program. Please note that rejecting cookies may affect your ability to use some of the products, features, functions, or services on our Site. On most web browsers you will find a “help” section on the toolbar. Please refer to this section for information on how to receive notification when you are receiving a new cookie and how to turn cookies off.
Type of cookies:
- Analytics and Performance Cookies – These cookies are used to collect information about the number of visitors to our Site, the referring website, the pages visited while on our Site, the time of day and time spent on our Site and other comparable information. We use this information to help us run our operations more efficiently, to gather non-specific demographic information and to monitor the level of activity on our Site. We use Google Analytics who uses their own cookies. You can learn more about Google Analytics privacy practices at www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html.
- Advertising and targeted cookies – These type of cookies track your browsing habits which allow us to display advertising on third party websites. These cookies use information about your browsing history and can be used to serve you a targeted advertisement through our trusted third party partners on a third party website. If you wish to not have this information used for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads, you may opt-out by click here . Please note this does not opt you out of being served ads. You will continue to receive generic ads. (or if located in the European Union
- Essential Cookies – These type of cookies are essential and provide you the ability to use some of the services of our Site. Without these cookies, some of the features would not be available to you.
Do Not Track Signals
At this time we do not recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include “do not track” instructions.
Other Third Party Tracking
BSI and our third party partners employ clear gifs (a.k.a. Web Beacons/Web Bugs), images, tags and scripts that help them better manage content on our Site.
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data. We do not tie the information gathered to our Clients’ or Users’ personally identifiable information.
We use Local Storage to store content information and preferences. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing Local Storage.
4. E-Mail Communications: BSI may also receive and store certain types of information to make the e-mails we send you more helpful and relevant to your interests. For instance, if your computer supports this functionality, we may receive a confirmation when you open an e-mail we send you. We may also receive a confirmation when you follow a hyperlink from one of our e-mail messages to our Site. If you want to stop receiving e-mail from us, either click the “unsubscribe” link (if present) in the e-mail or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and type “unsubscribe” in the subject field.
- Upon your consent;
- To provide services to help us with our business activities such as email communications or providing customer support. These companies are authorized to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us;
- When required by law, regulation, legal process, enforceable government request or to protect against imminent harm or in the good-faith belief that such disclosure is necessary to comply with law, regulation, legal process, enforceable government request or to protect against imminent harm;
- When necessary to enforce any agreements between us, including the investigation of any potential violations thereof; or
- To detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
If BSI is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our Site of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
BSI may share non-directly identifying personal information with third parties. BSI, however, will at all times strive to collect and share only that information which we believe is minimally necessary to achieve BSI’s reasonable business purposes.
CHOICE and INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS
BSI acknowledges that you have the right to access your personal information.
You can request from us at any time information about which personal information we directly collect from you and process about you. You may correct, update, amend, delete/remove or deactivate such information or request that it be ported in a machine readable format by making the change on your account page or by emailing email@example.com. We may need to verify your identity before being able to respond to such requests.
Depending on which laws apply to your personal information, we may only be able to do some of these actions for you. If you request an action and we refuse to do it, we will explain your legal rights, the reason for our refusal and any recourse you may have. Please note that if you request that we delete your personal information, you will no longer be able to use any of our services that require the use of your personal information. If you have provided more than one email address to our service, you may continue to be contacted, unless you request to unsubscribe each email address you have provided.
If we use your personal information based on your consent or to perform under an agreement with you, you may further request from us a copy of the personal information that you have provided. In this case, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and specify the information or processing activities to which your request relates, the format in which you would like this information, and whether the personal information is to be sent to you or another recipient.
You can request that we restrict your personal information from any further processing in any of the following events: (i) you state that the personal information we have about you is incorrect, (but only for as long as we are required to check the accuracy of the relevant personal information), (ii) there is no legal basis for us to process your personal information and you demand that we restrict your personal information from further processing, (iii) we no longer require your personal information but you claim that you require us to retain such information in order to claim or exercise legal rights or to defend against third party claims.
We will respond to your request without undue delay within 30 days. We reserve the right to take reasonable steps to verify customer identity prior to granting access or processing changes or corrections. Please direct any such request to email@example.com.
Notwithstanding the above, if you are a customer of one of our Clients that use our service and would no longer like to be contacted by them, please send your request to the Client you interact with directly. Also, queries related to access, or the correction, amendment, or deletion of inaccurate information, should be directed to the Client with whom you interact (the data controller). If such Client requests that BSI remove, correct or amend your information, we will respond to their request within a reasonable timeframe.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active and for 30 days thereafter or as needed to provide you services. If you request removal of your personal information, you acknowledge that residual information may continue to reside in BSI’s records and archives, and on its servers, but BSI will not use that information for commercial purposes. BSI reserves the right to maintain your personal information if BSI has suspended, limited or terminated your access to the Site for violating BSI’s Terms.
Personal information processed on behalf of our Clients will be retained for as long as needed to provide services to our Client and to fulfill the purposes for which the information was collected. We will retain and use this information as necessary to comply with our legal and contractual obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
BSI utilizes an industry standard secure socket layer to secure the Site, the materials contained thereon and your personal information (such as login credentials). Unfortunately, BSI cannot guarantee that any data transmitted over the Internet is 100% secure. As a result, while BSI will utilize its best efforts to protect and secure your personal information, BSI cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you either transmit to BSI or that BSI receives from your use of BSI’s online products or services. Consequently, any transmission to BSI of your personal information, including your use of our online products or services, is at your own risk. If you have any questions about the security of your personal information, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES
SOCIAL MEDIA FEATURES
Any personal information gathered by Business Software, Inc. directly on www.bsi.com is controlled by Business Software, Inc. Information that is provided to BSI from its Clients is controlled by them.
Business Software, Inc.
420 Technology Pkwy
Peachtree Corners, GA 30092-2913